Tofu Recipe – When we talk about tofu recipe, our mind will wander to the Asian countries. This is that tofu became one of the main cooking ingredients and everywhere people serve tofu for meal. It is different with the western countries where tofu categorized as diet and vegan food. Although tofu made from soy milk, it contained with various nutrient that our body needs. For that reason, it’s a loss if you miss this delicacy just because it identified as vegan menu.
There are many recipes for cooking tofu with numerous processes. From boiled in a soup, fried, deep fried, roast, or simple stir fry. With each different process, you can have different texture of tofu. When it mad as soup, you will find the tofu is fluffier. But when you fry or roast it, you can have crisp texture from the tofu. For that reason, many love to experiment with tofu and come up with a new recipe.
For this tofu recipe we are going back to the where it invented, the Asia. Cooking tofu without Asian touch is like cheating from its origin. For that reason, we are going to use hoisin sauce and soy sauce for this recipe. To balance the taste, we are also going to put red pepper flakes to add the spicy flavor.
- 1 package firm tofu
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- A handful broccoli florets
- 1 stalk Spring onion
- Sesame seeds
- Rice (for serving)
- Prepare for the ingredients. First, grate ginger until you get 1 tsp goods. Then, mince garlic in fine chops. For the garnish, cut the spring onion as you desire. If you use fresh broccoli, then make sure remove the main steam from the florets.
- Afterwards, prepare for the tofu by removing it from that packaging. Cover a plate with 4 paper towels and put the tofu on them. Then, on top of the tofu, place something heavy to press all the liquid out – such as cast iron pan. Do this process for 30 minutes.
- Mix together hoisin sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Make sure to stir the mixture until everything well combined together.
- After your 30 minutes up, cut tofu into bite size dices. Then, put the tofu cuts in the sauce mixture and coat them. Let the tofu to marinate for another 30 minutes.
- Once another 30 minutes finished, place a cast iron on the stove over medium high heat.
- Pour olive oil and add tofu when the oil boiled. Make sure all the sides of the tofu well seared and the color turned darkish brown.
- Then, drizzle the tofu with sesame oil and switch off the stove right away. Also, remove the pan from the heat to make sure you don’t burn any tofu piece.
- For the broccoli, blanche the florets in boiling water for more or less 60 seconds to make sure it have crunchy texture.
- Serve the tofu with rice and garnish with spring onion cuts and sesame seeds.
- Another way to process the broccoli, you can also marinate the florets with the sauce mixture and then sauté them for a spell.
- Aside from broccoli, you can also switch to other vegetables such as carrot or pease.
- If you are on diet and don’t eat rice, you can serve this tofu recipe with boiled potato (in chunks or mashed). Also, you can even eat it as a single meal without compliment.
- For another alternative aside from rice or potato, you can sauté the tofu cuts and the vegetables with the sauce and add a handful of vermicelli (angle hair noodles). But when you choose the sauté cooking process, then you have to give up in having crispy tofu texture.