Tempeh Recipe – If you are craving for delicious, sweet, sticky, and slightly spicy flavor, general tso’s tempeh is the right choice for you. You will taste a Chinese cuisine with vegan and healthier version because using tempeh instead of using chicken. This tempeh recipe is easy and quick to cook, perfect for your busy day.
Here is What You Should Know About Tempeh
The star of this dish is tempeh, highly nutritious food with a nutty flavor. Tempeh is a fermented soybean that has a patty form. It is made from the whole soybeans so it contains fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and as a good source of protein. If you are a vegan, it is a perfect plant-based protein source.
Tempeh is a super versatile food, you can use tempeh the same way you use meat or tofu. For example, tempeh can be the ingredients for burger, salads, soup, stew, or stir-fries.
Tempeh has plain taste, but in this tempeh recipe, you will know how to handle it become a super delicious dish. You can marinate the tempeh before you cook it so that seasoning is absorbed perfectly. Moreover, it makes the tempeh flavorful and more appetizing.
Not all supermarkets provide tempeh; you can have it at any health food store or vegan stores. Usually, the tempeh will be put in the refrigerator, near the tofu or the meat. If you have difficulty having it, it does not hurt if you try to make it yourself at home.
- ¾ cup of cubed tempeh
- 125 ml of water
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon orange juice, divided
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- Raw sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon white wine
- ½ teaspoon sherry
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vegan hoisin sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed in ½ to 1/3 cup of water
- Add the tempeh, soy sauce, orange juice, water, garlic powder, ginger powder, sugar and water to a deep medium pan. Stir them until well combined on low heat. Make sure all the liquid is absorbed and it usually takes 12 to 15 minutes long. You can place this step by marinating the tempeh with the mixture for a half to an hour before cooking.
- Prepare another medium pan, pour 1 teaspoon of oil, heat on medium heat, and add the cooked tempeh. Cook the tempeh for another 2 minutes on medium heat until all sides are brown or crisp.
- Place ginger and garlic cloves into the same pan with the cooked tempeh, stir it until fragrant for half a minute.
- Add orange juice, white wine or rice vinegar, vegan hoisin sauce, sherry, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Next, pour salt, chili flakes, and sugar, taste it.
- Stir all the ingredients until they are well mixed and combined on low-medium heat. Make sure the sauce is thickened and usually, it takes 5 to 7 minutes long.
- When it is done and the taste as you like, you can serve this dish.
- There is no vegetable in this tempeh recipe but you are welcome to add the vegetables. You can add the vegetables, such as bok choy, kale, broccoli, or carrots after you are done in step two or after the tempeh is browned.
- If you like more thickens the sauce, you can add more cornstarch.
- This dish is not so spicy, but you can add more chili flakes or sriracha to make this dish spicier.
- You can replace the white wine with rice vinegar.
- This dish would be perfect if you serve hot and eat it as a side dish with white or brown rice. Add the toppings, such as chopped scallions, sesame seeds, or crispy fried shallots.