Pressure Cooker Recipe – Chicken dish is always become a favorite and hard to turn over. But how about eat the chicken dish till its bone? If you think it’s impossible, then you haven’t discover the wonder of pressure cooker yet. Just like this pressure cooker recipe, you can try to eat chicken bone and leave nothing on your plate.
Actually, this dish is a traditional Javanese recipe for chicken dish. But, with a modification in cooking method by using the pressure cooker, it became a new sensation in Indonesia a few years back. Thus, if you have the opportunity to visit Indonesia, you could easily find the restaurant with soft bone chicken menu in most big cities.
- 1 whole chicken (leave out the head, neck, feet, and innards)
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 10 cloves garlic
- 14 cloves shallot
- 3 segment turmeric
- 2 segment ginger
- 2 lime leaves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 segment galangal
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 3 chili peppers
- ¼ tsp grilled shrimp paste
- 1 tomato
- Palm sugar
- Cooking oil
- 1000 ml thin coconut oil
- Firstly, cut the chicken in 4 parts then wash under the running water. Make sure it’s adjusted in the room temperature, and set aside.
- Grind together the coriander, 5 cloves garlic, 7 cloves shallot, turmeric, and ginger until smooth by using blender or food processor.
- Take out a high-ended skillet and put 1 tbsp cooking oil, switch on the heat on medium. Then use it to sauté the mixture until it gives out a nice smell, before adding the lime leaves, bay leaves, galangal, and lemongrass. Stir it until every ingredients withered.
- Afterwards, add the chicken and let it out its water remain. Season with 1½ tsp salt and 1 tsp grated palm sugar. You have to wait until it boiled down and the water disappeared.
- Prepare for the pressure cooker and lay banana leaves at the bottom of the pot. The reason is that it would richen the smell from the dish. Also, don’t forget to coat the pan with cooking oil to make it easier to open once it cooked.
- Put in the marinade chicken in the pan and add the coconut milk. Afterwards, close the lid and cook for 1 hour in high heat.
- While waiting for the chicken, you can prepare for the sambal.
- Puree together the remaining of garlic and shallot with chili peppers, tomato, and shrimp paste in the food processor. Afterwards, sauté in a medium-sized skillet with 1 tbsp cooking oil and season with 2/3 tsp salt and ½ tsp grated palm sugar. Stir for 3 to 5 minutes until the color turned a shade or two darker.
- Once one hour of pressure cooking finished, don’t open the cooker lid right away. But wait for a while to let the steam out.
- Put 500 ml cooking oil in the frying pan and heat on medium heat.
- Wait until the oil cooked before deep frying the chicken.
- Serve the soft bon fried chicken with the sambal at the side.
- For Indonesian traditional cooking believer, the taste would be better to grind using a stone grinder manually.
- You can store the marinade chicken in the refrigerator before pressure cooking it. But make sure to reheat the chicken before cook in the pressure cooker.
- To make thin coconut milk, you could use half pack of store-bought coconut milk and add it with water. Usually, 1 pack of the coconut milk made from 1 whole coconut.
- If you’re using the electric cooker for this pressure cooker recipe, then you have to set it on ‘Pressure Cook’ mode.
- The cooking time is for a medium sized chicken. If you use bigger chicken, then it would need more time to cook.
- For more spicy, you can add the chili.
- Another way to serve this pressure cooker recipe is by grilling the chicken instead of frying it.