Potato Recipe – Mention now what is better than mashed potato meets with cheese at the same time? This potato recipe is perfect for a desert, family gathering, or office potluck. Also, when you are in a diet, don’t sacrifice your self into the tasteless food. This creamy mashed potato with cheese could be your best option. How about the calories and fat? Don’t be worry, as long as you make a proper portion based on your diet program, you still enjoy the food just like the other people.
Why this potato recipe could be a variation for diet people? Because the potato is believed a good solution for low-carb diet people. It could be a substitute for rice or pasta. Having potato for your meal gives you many benefits. It has calcium, magnesium, and potassium to control your blood pressure. Also, the fiber and vitamins support your heart health. Potato has been proven to effectively to avoid human from the risk of heart disease.
Another reason why this potato recipe is included as healthy food, due to the dairy product you use. Actually, it depends on your taste and condition. Commonly people choose low-fat milk when they are in diet but craving for tastier food at the same time. As another option, you can use lactose-free cream cheese. But unluckily it is quite hard to find in the store than the low-fat milk. Also, add more herbs to get more vitamins and different taste.
- 6 – 10 medium size potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 package of cream cheese
- 1 – 2 cups of cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of milk (optional, if you are in a diet you can avoid it or using a low-fat variant)
- An egg
- Onion, chopped
- Make sure all potatoes are fully peeled before you add it into water.
- Take the pot and fill with water. Placed the potatoes inside, then set the heat. Ensure your potatoes are cooked evenly. To make it perfect, you need to adjust the heat.
- Let it cook for 20 – 30 minutes, or, wait until it is very tender.
- Drained it and check if it is easily pierced with a knife or fork.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth in a bowl.
- After you get the texture you want, add the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, egg, onion, salt, and pepper. Stir it and see until it gets fluffy.
- Now, move it into the baking dish. Make sure you already set the oven at 350 degrees. Put it inside and wait for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Take it out when the time is over, or when the cheese is getting melted and bubbling.
- Now your creamy mashed potato with cheese is ready to be served.
- This potato recipe is properly served for 6 – 8 portions.
- Choose the yellow-skinned potatoes. It gives you a better result for mashing due to its higher starch. Or, you can also choose the red potato because the skin is smooth and more appetizing. This condition eases you when peeling and mashing.
- We recommend you to mash the potatoes with a knife or fork. It is okay if you want to use a mixer. But don’t be overwork, unless your mixture will be very gluey.
- If your butter and cream cheese are from the refrigerator, check if it is at the room temperature before used. Otherwise, you will get difficult in baking because the frozen one hard to be smoothed.
- It is an additional, but nice to try. You can sprinkle the cheese on the top of the mixture. It will give you more taste and absorbed when it is baked.
- When the food gets cold, this is easy to reheat. So, when you bring it to the office and gets cold, you can put it again into the oven. Don’t let it too long, it is enough to be reheated for 2 minutes.