Low Carb Recipe – Low carb diet or more known as Keto diet is popular these days. The reason is that it more effective in losing weight. That’s why many people looking for at least one tasty low carb recipe that could make them forget that they’re dieting. But then, most of low carb diet dishes are taste pleasant. Although most people cut more than carb intact when dieting, rather only cut on the carb.
One of the dishes you can try when into low carb diet is Sherphed’s pie or also known as cottage pie. This old recipe is still around for you to try to cook one. But since we’re going for a low carb recipe here, then we would remove the mashed potato and replace it with cauliflower. Even though it’s not the usual traditional recipe, but the cauliflower could become a good substitute. Read the recipe below to know how to cook it.
- 1 cauliflower (about 900 gram)
- 40 gram butter
- ¼ cup parmesan (approx. 20 gram, grated)
- 2 tbsp thickened cream (warm)
- 800 gram ground beef
- 200 gram Swiss brown mushroom
- 1 brown onion (small size)
- 1 carrot (medium size, approx. 100 gram)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups beef stock (salt reduced, approx. 500 ml)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- Since you only need the crown head, then you have trim the cauliflower and chop coarsely florets and inner steam.
- Afterwards, steam the cauliflower until tender, approximately for 12 minutes. Take it out to let the steam escape and move it into the food processor. Then, add with 20 gram butter, parmesan, and cream; puree until the mash becomes smooth and season with a pinch of salt. You have to put it aside but make sure to keep the mash warm.
- The next step, you should prepare the other ingredients.
- Chop mushroom coarsely, but cut onion and carrot into small dice, and also chop garlic finely.
- Take out a large heavy-bottomed frying pan and put on high heat. Then, add the ground beef and sauté for more or less 5 minutes until it cooked through. Once it finished, transfer the beef to a sieve to remove the excess fat.
- Take the frying fan back but put the heat on medium. Add 1 tbsp of the reserved fat you just removed. Put in mushroom, onion, and carrot and stir for 10 minutes until they become tender. Add in the beef and give another stir for a spell. Afterwards, sprinkle plain flour and stir again to make sure it combined with other ingredients evenly.
- Add stock, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, tomato paste, and thyme. Let it shimmer for 5 minutes and wait until the liquid reduces. Make sure you left the liquid enough to cover the beef. Later, add seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Transfer this processed beef to a casserole dish.
- Preheat the grill on maximum heat.
- While waiting for the oven to get into the perfect temperature, spread the cauliflower mash over the beef you prepared before.
- Melt the remaining butter and coat it over the mash.
- Put the dish under the grill for 3 minutes until it browned in spots and bubbling.
- Serve it with grinded black pepper at side.
- In steaming the cauliflower, it would be perfect if you use the Dutch oven instead of oven steam it. But if you don’t have one, you can use a large pan to steam.
- For this low carb recipe, you can also improvised by adding another ingredients such as broccoli.
- Also, you could make the pie 1 day ahead before serving. To do that, you only need to keep the pie in the refrigerator. But before grilling it, preheat the pie in 200C oven to rewarm it.