Instant Pot Recipe – For some people, oxtail is a challenge that they wouldn’t want to conquer. The reason is that it’s a bothersome process. But for the ones who tried it, oxtail based dish is a to-die-for. Thus, many would like to try the alternate recipe. For that reason here’s an easy instant pot recipe for oxtail soup you wouldn’t want to miss.
When usually oxtail dish has a strong flavor, this oxtail soup is the opposite. The reason is that it only has small basic seasonings to aim for the rich taste of oxtail to come out. Thus, you may also give the soup to kids who have a tender palate. Although it’s a simple dish, the soup needs for long cooking with approximately for 2 until 3 hours pre-boiling the oxtail. But by the pressure cooking mode using Instant Pot, you can reduce the time by half and cook right away.
Instant Pot is a multiuse pressure cooker that you can use to cook anything. The latest model from Instant Pot has unlimited cooking modes, and even there’s smart Wi-Fi mode to connect it with the smart phone. The product designed for the modern lifestyle where people couldn’t dedicate the whole day for cooking one meal. Thus, just like the product’s name sake Instant Pot recipe is an the instant way of cooking.
- 900 grams oxtail
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 stalks spring onion
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 tomato
- 500 ml of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground is better)
- 2 lime leaves
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 segment galangal
- Fried shallot
- Defrost the oxtail. To make it defrost completely, leave it in the room temperature for 6 – 8 hours. Once it defrosted, you would like to soak the oxtail in cold water for 30 minutes until 1 hour to remove the blood and dirt from the bones. Afterward, clean them under running water.
- Chop the garlic to small bits. In the Chinese cuisines, the cooks only smash the garlic by the side of their butcher knife. They believe this process would richen the garlic flavor. For the Southeast Asian way, they grind the garlic instead and make it in paste form. That way, You can use whichever way you prefer.
- Chop the celery and spring onion to small pieces.
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges
- Put the oxtail, the chopped ingredient, lime lives, bay leaves, galangal, lemongrass, salt, sugar, and water in the pot.
- Put the lid, lock it, and make sure to ‘seal’ the steam release instead of ‘venting’. Switch on the pressure cooking and press the Meat/Stew mode, then press the Plus (+) button to set the timer to 45 minutes manually.
- The cooking mode would automatically switch to Keep Warm once it finished. Don’t open the lid right away because it would be dangerous. Instead, you have to release the steam by switch the steam handle to ‘venting’ There’s also another option to reduce the steam pressure by leaving it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After you de-pressure the instant pot completely, unlock the lid and open it.
- Add black pepper, and tomatoes then stir with a ladle.
- Serve in the individual bowls, garnish with the fried shallot.
- Optional alternative, you may add vegetables such as carrot, mustard green, and Chinese cabbage. Add the vegetables after the oxtail soup cooks perfectly. To do this, you have to close the lid and repeat the cooking process but switch it to manual and set the timer for 5 minutes.
- It’s better to eat this Instant Pot recipe soup with white rice. But if you don’t eat rice, you may add potato in the soup as the carbohydrate intact. Follow the previous note point to add the potato, set the timer for 15 minutes.
- If you’re going to and potato and vegetables, then cook the potato for 10 minutes. After that, add another 5 minutes after you put the vegetables.
- Make sure not to pass 2/3 part of the pot when pressure cooking using Instant Pot.