Healthy Recipe – Eating a healthy lunch is so important because it helps you to recharge the energy used after a half-day of activity. Skipping lunch will make you starving so it has an effect on your daily activities. There is a lot of healthy recipe for lunch; you can choose one of them based on your preference.
One of the best healthy recipes for lunch is beef barley soup. You will agree that consuming beef is so good for your health. Beef is high in protein, extremely rich in minerals, full of vitamins, and prevent anemia. Besides having many benefits, the taste of beef is so delicious that many people like it when it is made into a dish.
Beef dishes suitable mixed with grains to add a richer taste and highly nutritious. One of the grains that are widely consumed and has many benefits is barley. This kind of grains has chewy consistency and a slightly nutty flavor that can companion so many dishes. Barley has high nutrition, good for your digestion, and can help you to lose weight and cholesterol.
Now you can imagine so many benefits you will get in one dish that consists of beef and barley. Beef barley soup would be your new favorite healthy recipe for lunch ever. This healthy recipe does not need a lot of ingredients and is easy to cook. Take a look at this recipe and cook it at your lovely home.
- 2 pounds stew meat
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 cups of water
- 3 mounded tablespoons
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 onions
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 large potato
- 3-4 large carrots
- 1 cup pearl barley
- First thing first, prepare the ingredients by chopping the onions and the stalks celery. Next, minced cloves garlic, peeled and shredded potato and the carrots. Rinse the pearl barley out to remove any excess dirt.
- Marinate the beef with salt and pepper evenly. While you wait for the seasoning to absorb, heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large stockpot.
- If the stockpot is very hot, add about 1/3 of the beef on a stockpot. Wait until the color is brown, usually, it takes 1-2 minutes then turn to brown the other side. Set aside when all sides of the beef are browned.
- Repeat with the same step with remaining beef in 2 more batches. It is better for you to do the same step besides adding it all at once. It will steam all of your beef instead of making it all browned.
- After you are done with all your beef, add all the beef back to the pot and pour 10 cups of water. For a better taste, you can add 3 healthy tablespoons beef stock concentrate.
- Then, add the chopped celery, onions, and garlic into a large stockpot. Wait for it to boil and turn the heat to medium-low heat. Simmer for 2 hours with a cover on so that your beef will tender and savory.
- Afterward, make sure the beef is tender so you can shred the beef easily with a fork.
- Add the shredded potato and carrots, bring to a boil then continue to simmer on low heat for 30-45 minutes. Make sure the potato and carrots are softened or according to your liking.
- Afterward, add 1 cup of barley and wait for it to boil, then reduce the heat to low heat. Cook for another half hour, or until barley is softened and the soup tastes great.
- This healthy recipe takes a lot of time to make, so you better cook it when you are on a lazy day or cook it by using a slow cooker.
- If your beef is not browned well, you can add a bit of Worcestershire sauce towards the end of the cooking time. It will boost the flavor and your beef will marble well.
- If your soup more likely becomes a stew, you can add the amount of water and beef base.