Frittata Recipe – If you hear frittata, what you have in mind is eating baked eggs. However, who would have thought that frittata can be made without eggs, so this dish is suitable for vegans. If you are wondering how it tastes, you can follow this egg-free frittata recipe and cook it in your home.
You might not taste the same frittata if you use eggs as the ingredients but this dish has a similar taste. Apart from that, you need to remember that there will always be differences in every vegan recipe and they must be appreciated as is.
How Do You Make A Frittata Egg-Free?
Generally, the main ingredient of the frittata is the eggs, but if you are a vegan or allergic to eggs, of course, you cannot eat them. However, from now on you can eat frittata because there is an egg-free frittata recipe. You do not need to be confused, because there are always ingredients that can be substituted, including eggs.
You can substitute the eggs by using the mixture of tofu, cornstarch, arrowroot, or tapioca flour. If you are a dairy-free person, you can substitute the milk with non-dairy milk or rice milk. Because this dish is a dairy free, you are not allowed to use cheese; you can replace it with nutritional yeast.
Add the mixture with your favorite vegetables, as long as the veggies are suitable in this dish. Add onion and garlic to boost the flavor of the frittata. This egg-free and dairy-free frittata recipe is so easy to make. Even you can keep it stored in an airtight container and reheat before you want to eat it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup water for sauté
- 1 zucchini
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bell pepper
- Handful grape tomatoes
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Mineral salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
For The Blender
- 1 package organic firm tofu
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 heaping teaspoons cornstarch, arrowroot, or tapioca flour
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon mustard or ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried tarragon, thyme, or basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon white or black pepper, optional
- Prepare the ingredients first, such as cut the potatoes, onion, and bell pepper into dice. Mince the garlic and cut in half or quarter grape potatoes. Lastly, make sure you have drained the organic firm tofu.
- You can preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit meanwhile you are preparing the ingredients. Afterward, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat to sauté the vegetables.
- Add the potatoes and sauté it for 5 minutes long. Add onion, stir it for another 5 minutes until it turns fragrant and the color is translucent.
- Cook bell pepper, garlic, and zucchini until tender, add optional red pepper flakes, and cook it for another 1 or 2 minutes. Season the vegetable mixture with salt and pepper, taste it.
- Blend the remaining ingredients by using a food processor or blender until smooth or become a paste and taste for seasoning.
- Place the tofu mixture to the same pan with the vegetables and stir until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a paper pie pans round or springform pan, make sure that all edges are filled and the mixture is flat.
- Place it in the middle rack and bake for 30 to 4 minutes, and wait until frittata is already firm when you touch it. To prevent too much brown on the top of the frittata, you can cover it with aluminum foil or small silpat.
- Remove from the oven and let frittata to cool down for 10 minutes. To make it easier for you to transfer frittata from a pie pan round, you have to loosen the edge of it first. Put a plate over the pie pan round and flip the frittata carefully so it will fall onto the plate.
It is better if you are using at least 9 inch round or larger paper pie pans or springform pan. For finishing, you can add a little sriracha sauce and avocado.