Dinner Recipe – Just like most of Asian countries, Indian food always has the richness taste of spices. At the same time, it has distinct difference compared to the other Asian region, for example it’s curry. Because we all know, that Indian curry has more vibrant (not only in color) compared to Japanese, Korean, or even Southeast style curry. Thus, it would be perfect for dinner recipe.
Lamb often used in Indian cooking as the main ingredient, including in curry. Different with the most Europe or even USA, where weren’t lamb consumer kind of community. The reason is that lamb has a stronger taste that the other meat like the other usual – say beef or chicken. Thus, it doesn’t really popular compared to the other two mentioned.
But with a right amount of spice ingredients, we could turn the lamb into a delicious dinner recipe and end the day in the special way. For this recipe, we’re going to use the leg of lamb. Although if you couldn’t get the leg, any other part of the lamb would do.
- 750 gram leg of lamb
- 1 ginger (around thumb size)
- 2 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp coriander (grounded)
- 1 tsp cumin (grounded)
- 1 tsp turmeric (grounded)
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 400 gram can tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 red/green chili pepper
- 300 ml water
- 2 stalks cilantro
- Prepare for the ingredients. First, cut ginger by half and then cut one part into matchstick size, but leave the other half. After that, cut the onions in quarters. Meanwhile for the chili, to avoid the spicy taste, you could remove the seed before slicing it. But if you prefer for a bit spicy taste, just slice the chili in its whole form.
- Make sure to wash the leg of lamb under running water until all blood and dirt go away, before cutting them in dice (approx. 2 to 3 cm size).
- Afterwards, take out the food processor and put in the other half of the ginger (non cut), ½ onion (2 quarters), garlic, and water in the food processor. Puree these ingredients until smooth.
- Take out the high-sided skillet and pour in rapeseed oil with medium heat. Add in the puree mixture when the oil shimmer, sauté for 3 minutes before adding the matchstick cuts ginger. Then, stir fry for 3 to 5 minutes until the ginger color turned brownie.
- Add in the cinnamon, coriander, cumin, and fennel seeds. You should sauté them for a spell before adding the leg of lamb. Then, keep stirring until the lamb color turned golden-brown.
- After that, put in the canned tomato, water, and chili pepper. Don’t forget to add salt and pepper as how you prefer. Close the pan with lid and let it to shimmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour in low heat. At this step, you may occasionally open the lid to stir the curry.
- While waiting for the leg of lamb to get tender, roughly chop the cilantro for garnish later.
- Once the time is up, check the tenderness by forking the meat. If you feel it is not tender yet, repeat the process by adding the water and wait until it become tender.
- For the last step, sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the top this dinner recipe ready and serve with rice.
- Some people made alteration with the original recipe by skipping the puree mixture. By doing that, they slice the garlic and add some garlic paste.
- Aside from rise, this Indian style dinner recipe is also suitable with mango chutney or raita.
- If your lamb turned tender when the liquid still high, open the lid and increase the heat to maximum. This would help to reduce the liquid quickly but only has little affects in the tenderness. But if the there were more liquid to reduce, then it’s better to remove the meat first before reduce the liquid, then it them back once the liquid reduced.