Crockpot Recipe – Rendang is a Malay dish, an ethnic group that mostly spread in Sumatra (Indonesia), Malaysia, and Brunei. It dubbed as one of the most delicious dish in the world with rich taste and layers of spice. Although its richness in taste, people don’t often cook Rendang because of its complexity to cook. For that reason, here we have easier way by cooking Rendang Crockpot recipe.
Just like mentioned, cooking rendang need an actual care for minimal 3 to 4 hours with close attention. It means, you couldn’t leave the Rendang to cook on itself if you don’t wish to get burned Rendang. But by using the Crockpot, we can leave the Rendang to cook after putting in all the ingredients. That way, you can save hours by letting the Crockpot do its magic.
This Rendang Crockpot recipe is suitable for career woman or woman with kids. Thus, you could prepare the recipe in the morning, and leave it to cook in the Crockpot, and then back at the evening for dinner. That way, you can skip about the close attention part and jump to serving the delicious Rendang.
- 1 kg beef (chuck steak)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 6 cloves shallot
- 1 onion (small size)
- 2 segments galangal
- 2 segments ginger
- 12 chili peppers
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- ¼ tsp clove powder
- ¼ cardamom powder
- 400 ml coconut milk (from 1 coconut)
- 2 tsp tamarind (without seeds)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (large, thus you get the ones make it to 6)
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 stalk of cilantro (teared or finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup grated coconut meat
- 1 tbsp grated palm sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 cup beef stock
- For easy process when blending the spice paste, it’s better to prepare the hard ingredients. Thus, you should chop the galangal finely and mince the ginger before starting to blend the spice. Also, it would be better to slice the white part of 3 stalks lemongrass first. And don’t forget to cut garlic, shallot, and onion in smaller shape for easier process.
- Then it’s time to prepare for the spice. Put in garlic, shallot, onion, galangal, ginger, lemongrass slices, and chili pepper in the food processor. Don’t forget to pour 2 tbsp vegetable oil into it and puree until smooth.
- Wash beef under running water to remove blood and dirt then cut in cube size (approx. 4cm2).
- Pour 1 tbsp vegetable oil into the pot to sear the beef. When finished, then set the beef aside.
- With the same oil, sauté the spice paste until it turned darker. Make sure to keep stirring to avoid the paste to burn.
- Afterwards, add the other spices that didn’t include in the paste and stir for a spell before putting back the beef.
- Afterwards, add coconut milk, stock, and coconut shaving.
- Smash the bottom of the last stalk of the lemongrass and finely chop the cilantro. Then put them on top before closing the lid.
- Set the Crockpot for 8 hours in low mode.
- After the clock strikes 8 hours later, open the lid to remove the heat.
- Serve this Rendang Crockpot recipe with white rice or coconut rice while warm.
- When searing the beef, you can sear by half to make sure that you wouldn’t burn any beef cube.
- There’s another alternative of cooking this Rendang Crockpot recipe by marinating the beef. To do that, marinate the beef with spice paste for 8 hours or leave it overnight. From there, sear the marinated beef then set it aside. Move to roast the dry spices before putting back the beef into the pot. And then, cook like the instruction above.
- You also can adjust the spiciness by adding or lessen the number of the chili pepper.