Cod Recipe – The cod fish came from the genus Gadus, family Gadidae. This fish is popular choice to consume because its white flesh has mild flavor. For that reason, you can one delicious cod recipe in one try from the internet. Mostly the ones that came out in the search result are baked cod, but for this recipe, we’re going to fry the fish.
Along with this cod recipe, we are going to serve it with sweet and sour Asian style sambal. Although it doesn’t really scream as Asian sambal, we like to try to create the same taste. The sambal has sweet and sour taste from palm/brown sugar and tamarind. The taste will be a good combination for the fried cod. Also, the dish served with blanched vegetables dressed in sesame oil, so they still have crunchy texture.
- 2 large skinless cod fillet
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 plum tomatoes (medium size)
- 2 tsp palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- Dried chili flakes
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 large egg
- 75 gram ground almond
- A handful coriander leaves
- Green vegetables
- Before starting to process the cod, start with blanching the green vegetable. To do that, you can put the vegetable in the boiling water for 45 to 60 seconds. Then take it out and dress in the sesame oil. Put aside for serving later.
- Afterwards, prepare for the sambal ingredients. Firstly, chop the onion and grate the ginger until you get 1 tsp ginger paste good. For the garlic, you only need to crush it with the flat side of the knife before mince it in small cuts. Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes in dice sizes. And lastly for the lemon, squeeze the juice out of the ¾ part of it and cut to 2 the remaining ¼ part.
- Put a small size sauce pan over the stove and switch on in low heat. Pour 1 tbsp oil and when it shimmers add onion, garlic, tomatoes, ginger, tamarind, sugar, chili flakes, and lemon juice.
- Then, wait until the mixture turned soft with a hint of golden coloring (approx 30 to 35 minutes) while keep stirring occasionally. Set aside, but keep it warm.
- Afterwards, prepare for the cod coating but beforehand season with salt and pepper. Mix plain flour with turmeric and dust the cod with the mixture. Then, in a shallow plate beat the egg for another layer of coat for the cod. For the last coat, cover the cod with ground almond.
- Take out the non stick frying pan and put over the stove with medium low heat.
- Pour the remaining oil into the pan to fry the cod. Fry the fish for 3 minutes at each side or until the color turned golden and the texture became crisp.
- Serve the fried cod with sambal and green vegetables at the side. Then, garnish with coriander leaves around. Also, put a wedge of lemon for squeezing along in the serving plate.
- For the vegetable, you can use the like of mustard greens and caisim. Also a small handful of pease can adorn the platting and at the same time for additional nutrient.
- An alternative, you can switch the ground almond to the usual breadcrumbs. But it can affect the final taste.
- Another way to make sambal for this cod recipe is to blend all the sambal ingredients in the food processor before sauté it. This process will shorten your cooking time.
- You can also switch this recipe’s sambal with more authentic Asian sambal.
- If you wish to make your sambal spicy, just adjust the chili. Or you can also add fresh red chili pepper instead of the flakes.