Chicken Salad Recipe – Just like its name, chicken salad recipe use chicken as the main ingredient of the salad. Basically, chicken salad served as a breakfast or brunch menu. But for the people who undergo diet, chicken salad became the main menu for any meal time. The chicken breast became the part of chicken to make this chicken salad. Some said, chicken breast is the best chicken part for diet with lowest fat. Not to mention, with the chicken breast poaching process, the fat removed from the chicken meat on its own.
Although there are many variation of chicken salad, but for this chicken salad recipe we are going to use the basic one. Thus, you can add any other ingredients as you go and improvise. Aside to consume the salad as it is you can also use this recipe for salad filling for bread or sandwich. Even you can use this chicken salad as side dish for the other menu by serve it in smaller portion.
- 1 kg chicken breasts
- 12 sprigs parsley
- 1 onion (small size)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 carrot (small size)
- 6 cup chicken broth (homemade or low sodium store brought)
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 scallion
- 2 stalks fresh dill
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ part of lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare to make poached chicken. First thing first, trim the chicken breast from fat, but don’t remove the bone and skin. After that, cut the onion, carrot, and celery in halves.
- Use a medium size sauce pan and put in chicken, 10 sprigs parsley, thyme, carrot, onion, and celery in it. Then, pour in with broth and boil it over medium high heat. Once it boiled, lower the heat to low and cover the pan with the lid. Keep boiling the chicken for 20 minutes until it firm to touch. After that, remove the pan from the stove and open the lid. Let the chicken sit in the liquid for 30 minutes while it cooling down.
- Fish out the chicken from the liquid and transfer to a cutting board, but keep the liquid. Remove the bone and skin from the meat, then cut the chicken meat into 1 inch dices.
- For the next step, we are going to start with the salad.
- Then, prepare for the salad ingredients. Firstly, cut celery in ¼ inch size. Then slice the scallion into tiny pieces. Also, finely chop the dill, rosemary and the remaining 2 sprigs of parsley. For the lemon, squeeze it until you get around 2 tsp lemon juice worth.
- Afterwards, take 4 cups of the chicken you previously prepared and put in a large bowl. Then, add with celery, scallion, parsley, and dill.
- In another bowl, smaller in size wise, put mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Then, whisk together until you get well combined dressing.
- After that, pour the mayonnaise dressing into the chicken and stir them together.
- Chill the chicken salad in the refrigerator before serving.
- Garnish with rosemary and serve while chill
- This chicken salad recipe is for 4 servings.
- Don’t discard the boiled chicken liquid, because you can use it for chicken broth. To get that, you can sieve it and store in the refrigerator to use for another menu. But make sure to remove the fat surface from the broth.
- If you don’t use all the poached chicken, just put in a container and store in the refrigerator.
- You can also store the chicken salad leftover in the container and store it in the refrigerator.
- For this recipe, you can improvise by adding vegetables for the salad mixture, such as lettuce, baby spinach, tomato, and many more. Or even you can add fruits like apple and strawberry into the salad mixture and make a salad garden.