Chicken Recipe – The chicken dish is the most common recipe that has been around for thousands of years. That’s why there are many chicken recipes that you can find in the recipe book or even the internet. Many people believe you couldn’t ruin chicken for anything. The reason is that cooking chicken is simple, even in the ancient time, you only to roast it in the fire.
Sadly, as human being thrived in civilization, it affects the way of cooking too. With the advance in culinary art, some people put too many flavors at the one chicken dish. It would be good if there’s a balance between each flavor. But, many failed to bring the best from the easiest ingredient to cook.
For that reason, here is a simple and tasty chicken recipe for you to try, called spicy and sweet braised chicken. The recipe uses soy sauce and brown sugar for the sweet taste and chili pepper to add the spiciness. This recipe is common in the Southeast Asia countries that known for their spices flavor. But don’t have to worry, since this dish doesn’t have strong flavor in spices.
- 1 whole chicken (with or without the innards)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 cloves shallot
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks spring onion
- 2 chili pepper (you can add for more if you have spicy preference)
- 1 tomato
- 250 ml of water
- 3 segments of galangal
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon grounded white pepper
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 5 tablespoon soy sauce
- 5 tablespoon vegetable oil (you can switch to olive oil or coconut oil)
- Fried shallot
- Cut the chicken by following the joint into pieces. You can decide the size as you prefer your chicken dish.
- Clean the chicken cuts under running water to remove the blood and dirt. Also, while you’re on this process, make sure there’s no fur left. If you like to include the innards, then wrap the intestine around the liver and bowel after you clean them. Put the chicken aside.
- Thinly cut the garlic, shallot, and onion.
- Chop the spring onion and chili pepper to small pieces.
- Cut the tomato in wedges.
- Spread the bottom part of the lemongrass by smashing with the knife handle.
- Preheat the pan (preferably high-sided skillet or saucepan) in low heat, pour the oil.
- Sauté the garlic, shallot, and onion until they smell nice.
- Add spring onion, chili pepper, and tomato, stir until wilted.
- Put in the galangal, bay leaves, lime leaves, and lemongrass then stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and give another stir.
- While stirring, add the soy sauce. At the same time, you have to make sure not to burn any side of the chicken.
- After a while, pour the water. Switch the heat to maximum.
- Add the salt, brown sugar, and white pepper.
- Wait until it boils before reducing the heat to low, then close the lid.
- Stir for every 10 minutes to make sure all the part would cook perfectly until the water boiled down.
- Test the chicken meat tenderness by poking with a fork. If it isn’t tender enough by your standard, you can add the water and wait for it to boil down again.
- Serve in the low dish bowl and garnish with fried shallot.
- You can serve the spicy and sweet braised chicken recipe right away, or serve with mash potato or white rice.
- When cooking chicken, it’s better not to debone it. The reason is the bones help to make the chicken meat tender and juicy.
- If your chicken tender before the water boiled down, increase the heat while keep on stirring.
- You can also fry this dish chicken if you wish for crisp texture at the outside.