Cauliflower Recipe – From the color, cauliflower looked less vibrant compared to the other Brassica family. But despite it colorless appearance, cauliflower contain rich of nutrients that human need with small amount of cholesterol and saturated fat. For that reason, many tried to invent at least one of cauliflower recipe for innovation in diet menu.
Cauliflower is good for diet and often used as main ingredients for vegan dish. Just like broccoli people only consume the florets part, and leave out the main and inner steam. Because of its good taste and good nutrients, you can find various cauliflower dish recipes on the internet. Aside from the classic dish, you can also found the newly invented ones.
One of the cauliflower recipes that often in the top search result is cauliflower casserole. It’s a casserole dish made from cauliflower recipe. Compared to the original casserole, the cauliflower casserole is easier to make and only need shorter time to cook. But despite the simplicity of the cooking process, you could trust it would taste good.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 heads cauliflower (medium size)
- ¾ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ black pepper (freshly ground)
- 170 gram cream cheese (make sure it has room temperature before processing)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 4 stalk scallion
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Prepare for the ingredients. First, cut the bacon in more or less ½ inch thick. Then cut the cauliflower florets in bite size. Meanwhile, for the scallion, you only need the white and light-green part. Thus, you can remove the green leave part for another cooking. Also if you bought the cheddar in block, then you have to shred it first.
- Before starting to cook, preheat oven in 425F.
- Take out a medium size nonstick skillet and put on the stove, switch on medium heat. Cook the bacon for 6 to 7 minutes until they turned brown and crispy. After that, transfer the bacon on a plate covered with paper towel to dry them out from the dripping fat and set it aside.
- Then, reserve 2 tbsp of the fat dripping from the skillet.
- Once it’s done, take out the casserole dish (3-quat size) and put in the cauliflower. Add the bacon fat dripping you reserved earlier into the dish, along with Kosher salt, and black pepper. Make sure all the cauliflower florets coated with them.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes until the florets turned brown and the texture became soft.
- While waiting for the cauliflower to roast, take out a medium bowl. Put in together cream cheese, half of the prepared cheddar cheese until they well combined.
- When 30 minutes finished, take out the dish from the oven and pour the cheese mix over the cauliflower. After that, drop the other half of the cheddar cheese over the dish. Reenter the dish into the oven and back for another 5 to 7 minutes until the cheddar cheese melted and bubbly.
- Once the time’s up, take out the dish from the oven.
- Without waiting it cool, dollop the sour cream over the casserole evenly.
- And lastly, sprinkle the casserole with scallion slices and bacon pieces you fried earlier.
- Serve while warm.
- You can switch bacon any other meat product as topping, but it could affect the taste, since the bacon fat used in the original recipe.
- If you’re vegetarian and switch to plant-originated oil like olive, coconut, or vegetable. For the topping, you could add mushroom for a switch. But again, it would affect the taste.
- You can eat this cauliflower recipe with ketchup and mayo.
- Although contained with good nutrients, you still have to limit in consuming cauliflower. The reason is that like the other Brassicas cauliflower also harbors goitrogens. This substance may cause thyroid disease at worst scenario. For the lightest effect, over consuming cauliflower might cause flatulency.